Saturday, February 22, 2014

Why I Love Shakespeare

In honor of my chance to see Tom Hiddleston performing Coriolanus today, I thought I'd blog about the Bard himself. The man who changed the face of theater for the entirety of the world. William Shakespeare.

Like everyone, I had to read Shakespeare in high school. Probably Hamlet, Macbeth or Romeo and Juliet. I'll admit that I liked all of those plays, even though my classmates would moan and groan about how horrible it was to read this Elizabethan language that was so hard to understand. But I loved it. I enjoyed reading Shakespeare. Especially the histories. My favorite play of all of Shakespeare's plays is probably Henry V, although Much Ado About Nothing comes in a very close second.

Shakespeare's comedies were funny and tragic at the same time, his tragedies were so tragic that it broke your heart, and his histories were so sweeping that they were breathtaking. His characters were real and relatable. Hard to play but easily understood.

My favorite thing about Shakespeare is that he was an amazing storyteller. He could describe human nature in ways that no one before him had ever described. It was something that made his plays so popular, especially among the common people.

I definitely don't want this to become something like a high school essay on Shakespeare, so I'll end it here. But I will definitely be blogging tomorrow to let you know how Coriolanus was. Although I thoroughly expect it to be fantastically amazing. 

And just to clear up a very long-standing misconception that is a pet-peeve of mine, Romeo and Juliet is NOT a love story. It's a tragedy. That's why it's called The TRAGEDY of Romeo and Juliet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edited by - Stephanie King