Tuesday, February 18, 2014

My Writing Heroes

I'm a huge reader. I love to read just about anything and everything. While I prefer young adult and historical fiction, I can read just about anything that you put in front of me if I can get interested in it. But there are three writers who I will never turn down no matter what.

Perhaps my favorite writer of all time is J.R.R. Tolkien. I read The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit once a year every year, and try to read his other works at least once ever couple years. He is a master of fantasy, and he wrote so wonderfully. One of the things I love about Tolkien's work is that there's a little bit in there for everyone. And he made his characters so real. Every bit of his world was so real that it seemed to jump off the page. The languages and the races that populated his world are amazing and beautiful. When I write fantasy, I always think of how Tolkien would do it. Because that's the gold standard for me.

I also love to read just about anything written by Richelle Mead. She is amazing at urban fantasy and paranormal stories. While it was the Vampire Academy series that drew me in, I've read just about everything she's written. I'll be honest and say that I'm about burnt out on vampires, but she does them so well that they aren't broody or whining. They're real people and real creatures--maybe scary and maybe swoon-worthy. her way of writing drags the reader in and doesn't let go from the first page to the last. It's like you are the main character rather than just reading about them. She's a master of perspective.

When it comes to science fiction, I'm a sucker for Beth Revis. Her Across the Universe trilogy was brilliant. It inspired me to write my own futuristic space novel. I loved her way of writing, of bringing this world that didn't exist to life--this new technology, new words, new people. She is an amazing designer of new worlds and beautiful characters. I can read Across the Universe a thousand times and never get bored.

Maybe I'm being too lofty in my aspirations, but one day I'd love to be on someone's writing heroes list. And it'd be really cool if, someday, one of my favorite authors has my book on their must read list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edited by - Stephanie King