Tuesday, February 11, 2014

When Being a Nerd is Okay

Nerd.

Geek.

Words that used to have such horrible, negative connotations to them. In some circles, they still do. But I find that it's much more accepted these days to be a nerd or a geek. Particularly because, well... it is the nerd that has inherited the earth.

I'm not saying that I'm one of those nerds who can speak Klingon (though I do know a bit of Elvish) or a super-computer nerd. But I do consider myself a nerd in the traditional sense of the word. I love to learn. I love school. And I love to talk to people about the things that I know a lot about.

Sometimes it's a good thing to be a nerd. Take my job for instance. I work as a tutor. I get to work with students, get them excited about school and learning, and be a nerd all at the same time. And I get paid for it! How cool is that?! Who wouldn't want a job like that?

Being a nerd is just part of who I am. I've always been that "smart" girl. Mostly because I was born without one iota of athletic ability save being able to toss people in the air as a cheerleader. I tried basketball, but barely made a team and that was because they had to take me because it was a recreation league. Sports was just never my thing. But academics... oh, that was a place where I could shine.

And I did.

I think that's why I love to write so much. It's just another way for me to be a nerd and be happy about it. And, I suppose, it's why I love to read. I did Battle of the Books in elementary school and debate in high school. I got to be a nerd and build my confidence in myself. And my vocabulary.

Being a nerd is something that I'll always hold proudly. It's part of me.

Maybe it's my favorite part.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edited by - Stephanie King