Thursday, February 13, 2014

What I Learn from My Dogs

My dogs are something else. Sometimes I love them to pieces and it's all I can do to keep myself from rolling along the floor and wrestling with them. Other times, they frustrate me to no end and all I want to do is hide in another room so I don't have to fight with their questionable training (I'm no Caesar Milan).

They're beautiful black and brown beagles, and I love them to death. They're lovely dogs that I just fell in love with the moment that I got them. Well--we got them since one of them belongs to my sister. But they are beautiful and 99% of the time, I love them. It's just that 1% of the time that I get frustrated with them. And that's only when my days aren't going well to start with.

Watching them over the past three years that we've had them, I've learned a couple things from them. Dogs are great for learning lessons from, and it's important for dog owners to watch their pets to see what they can be taught.

I think the first thing I learned from my dogs was to enjoy the little things. They love it when they get a little treat. It doesn't have to be a steak or anything fancy. They just like a little bit of food from my plate or a dog treat from the bag. They enjoy lying in the sun and taking a snooze in the middle of the day. For them, the little things are big things.

They live in the moment, because that's all they have. They stop and explore new smells, new sights. They're easily distracted because they want to see everything. It's amazing to watch them do things, to explore their home every day as if it's something brand new. It's wonderfully breathtaking.

Sometimes they have little disagreements. They fight and wrestle, snapping at each other and snarling. Then, five minutes later, they're snuggled up together in their beds together with no problem. They don't hold grudges. They don't keep the fighting over the same thing. They just let the problem go and make themselves happy.

My dogs are some of the best teachers I've ever seen. I've learned so much from them, and I hope I have a long time with them to learn even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edited by - Stephanie King