Saturday, February 15, 2014

Is It Normal to Get Tired of Writing?

Sometimes I wonder if I've burned myself out on writing. Pushed myself too hard and too fast. Because there are times when I want to just give up, mostly because I'm frustrated with writer's block and simple exhaustion. I get tired--tired of writing, tired of a particular story, tired of a set of characters. Even though I love them, sometimes I get bored beyond reckoning.

I wonder, is that normal? Is it normal to get tired of writing like that?

I have half a dozen different stories that I want to work with, but that doesn't mean that I don't get tired of things sometimes. Right now, for example, I'm trying hard to fight the writer's block that's keeping me from working on River's Queen. And I'm dealing with exhaustion and frustration in the fact that I'm so tired that I don't have the energy or the desire to work on rewrites for Fire's Princess. That, my friends, is really bad since I have a release in June. I've got to get to work, you know.

Do other writer's go through this? Is that one of the reasons why it takes so long between book releases? I know full time authors have deadlines and there are many more steps involved between first draft and release, but I wonder if some of the problem is just because they get bored with a story.

Because Lord knows I get bored sometimes.

I suppose that's when world hopping comes in. I should do that more often, shouldn't I?

Maybe that's how I'll get over this bought of trouble. I'll do a bit in River's Queen and then hop over to the Off World series or another set of novels I wanted to work on. I know I've got a dozen different ideas of things that I want to write, maybe if I stop trying to force myself to work on the same story over and over, I can get rid of the tiredness and the exhaustion.

So maybe it is normal to get tired of writing. Just of writing the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edited by - Stephanie King