Saturday, January 25, 2014

World hopping

One of my favorite things about being a writer is being able to go from one place to another . I can be in a medieval fantasy world one day and on a distant planet the next. There is literally nowhere I can't go. My limit is only my imagination.

There's a problem with that, though. When I world hop--when I go from one place to another--I might get my worlds and my characters mixed up. It's happened before. I remember once I was writing a novel and, without paying attention, I stuck a computer in the middle of an elven settlement. I didn't catch it until the third read through. It was crazy.

Right now, I'm working on three different projects at the same time. I'm doing revisions on the second Elemental Royals novel and on the first Off World novel at the same time as writing the final Elemental Royals novel. I have to pay attention to make sure that I don't mix the worlds that are so very separate that it isn't funny. One is so medieval that it's practically in the Dark Ages. The other is so futuristic you expect Captain Kirk to pop his head in the door.

But world hopping can be fun and a good way to break writer's block. When I get stuck on something with one story, I can go somewhere else to get the creative juices flowing. I can move from one world to another until I figure out what I want to do with the other one. It makes everything so much easier to deal with, taking a ridiculous amount of stress off of me.

I love writing. I love building these worlds and finding these new people to give them life. But sometimes it's hard to keep going in one without getting just a little bit bored. That's when world hopping comes in handy. It makes coming back to the other world all the sweeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edited by - Stephanie King