Sunday, January 19, 2014

My librarian knows me better than my best friend

Some people might say it's a bad thing living next door to the town librarian. I think it's the best thing in the world. Especially since I'm in the library so often that they all not only know me by name, but they also know what I like to read and ask me for suggestions on what to buy.

Librarians and town libraries--especially small town libraries--are often taken for granted. School libraries too. Not only do librarians have to deal with keeping track of books and dealing with patrons, they also have to make sure that they have things on the shelves that people actually want to read. And you know as well as I do that it's hard to get teens interested in reading. And sometimes, it's hard to get adults to read.

Librarians have a thankless job sometimes. But I love the librarians in my town. They've been so supportive of my writing. They put my book in the public library. They've suggested it to people who've come in and seem to like to read the same things. They're even giving away a prize pack of my books during the summer reading program for the adults and teens. Librarians are some of the biggest unsung heroes a writer can have. They fight for our books on the front lines with readers, and I think sometimes that's forgotten.

My librarian is awesome. Sometimes she'll pop up at my door and deliver a book that I didn't request or even know about all because she thought I'd like it. And she does this solely because she remembers me, she remembers what I like to read. That's a humbling thing for someone like me, someone who pretty much reads anything and everything I can get my hands on.

Sometimes, I think my librarian knows me better than my best friend. And that can be pretty amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edited by - Stephanie King