Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Movies, Music, and Books--Things That Deserve A Repeat

Okay, so you know those people who can read a book once and never read it again? What's up with those people? Seriously. How can they open up this new world and see it, live in it, and never want to revisit it? Honestly, I read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings at least once a year every year. That's about 17 times since the first movie came out. Because I'll be honest, I'd never even heard of it until then and I had a huge crush on Elijah Wood when I was a freshman in high school. But still. My copies of those books are knackered, people. How do other people not do that?

And movies! My mom can't understand how I buy a movie or a TV series and watch it over and over and over. Dodgeball. Don't ever sit down with me to watch that movie. Because I've seen it so many times that I can literally quote it start to finish, every character, every line, verbatim. It's perhaps my absolute favorite movie because it never fails to put me in a good mood. And when our dish is out, you can bet that's the movie in the DVD player. That one or Adam Sandler's version of The Longest Yard. I know that one verbatim, too.

I'm a writer, and most writers I know listen to music when they write. I have a playlist for every story, or at least every series. Over the course of a writing session, those songs are on repeat at least two or three times. I love those songs. That's kind of why I picked them. They make me happy or, if need be, they make me sad because that's what my characters need to feel. Or, maybe, it just lets me zone out from the world around me enough to write.

Sometimes zoning out is awesome. It lets me get into a kind of writing track where those 2,000 words come out in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edited by - Stephanie King