Thursday, December 19, 2013

Christmas Is Not My Favorite Holiday

Don't get me wrong, I'm big on the whole meaning of the holiday. I mean the real meaning of the holiday. Rebirth, the beginning of a new year and new life. The birth of the Savior. But I'm not too big on the meaning that so many people have attached to it. So many people have gotten to the point where they expect these big, extravagant gifts and if you don't do something, they throw a fit. Or they act as if you've personally insulted them when you don't do exactly what they wanted you to do.

When I was a kid, I loved the holidays. Getting together with my family and exchanging gifts. Spending time with my cousins and grandparents. As I've gotten older, though, that's kind of lost it's luster. I don't know exactly when that happened. Sometimes it feels like the time from Halloween to New Year's is a struggle.

I know it's that way for a lot of people. And I often wonder why it's that way. Isn't there something, some psychiatric disorder that has to do with depression during the holidays? Or at least during the winter? Let me go check...

...ah, seasonal affective disorder. SAD, what an appropriate designation. Don't the holidays make everyone sad?

I wonder, has anyone ever written a novel about how horribly depressing the holidays are? I'm sure they have since there are dozens of movies about it. Maybe I've just missed them all. Probably because I tend to stick in the classics and young adult sections of the book store. I have a hard time getting out of those sections because they speak to me. I think I'm stuck in another time: either days gone by as far as centuries past or my adolescence that slipped by far too quickly.

Hmm... I like that for a title. Days Gone By.

Wasn't that the name of the first Walking Dead episode?

Now I want to watch zombie movies...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edited by - Stephanie King