Tuesday, March 4, 2014

How to Deal with Review Nerves

Well, today is the day. My first "official" review posts on the blogs. I'm honestly sort of afraid to look. It's going to be one of those days I think.

If I'm going to be a writer, then I'm going to have to get used to having nerves about reviews. Especially when I start putting out ARCs of new books. They'll be judging my books on advanced copies and all that fun stuff. I have to learn to deal with having other people judge my work and possibly not always liking it.

So how am I going to do that? That's the million dollar question.

Honestly, today is going to be an easy day to deal with the nerves, mostly because I'm going to be working all day. I'll be busy pretty much every hour between 8 am and 5 pm, so it'll be had to sneak away and read the blog until I get home. Which, honestly, is both good and bad. I'll have work to help keep me occupied, but I'm also going to have to deal with the increasing nerves the longer it takes for me to get to read the review.

What am I going to do if it's good? Probably dance around the room. And then ask if I can use the review on my website and put it in the intro to the next book.

What about if it's bad? That's what I'm afraid of. What I don't know how I'll deal with. I don't know how I'll look at a bad review. The professional and mature thing to do is to look at the review and see two major things.

  1. It's just one person's opinion (unless I get A LOT of bad reviews, then I have a problem)
  2. What are they saying is wrong? Can I fix it in a new edition?
I'm going to go into this with an open mind and a professional attitude. After all, I asked them to do this, didn't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edited by - Stephanie King